2014: The Year in Review
2014 was a huge year at Perry Wellness Center. A year ago, in early January 2014, we announced our theme for the upcoming year was: “2014: Together and Better at Perry Wellness Center.”
It was indeed a year of togetherness as we worked on a variety on activities for personal improvement as well as the betterment of the overall program. As we look forward to another great year at the center, we thought it would be worthwhile to look at some of the highlights of 2014.
Following are some noteworthy events and activities that we covered in our Peer Posts for 2014:
National Grant Implementation:
- Implemented Agrium, Inc. national grant, “Growing Together/Feeding the World,” with assistance from local agricultural company.
Health and Wellness:
- Expanded Whole Health Management Plan (W.H.A.M.) program for center peers, with emphasis on total wellness.
- Expanded sports and exercise program off-campus to include tennis and track at local high school facilities.
- Offered yoga classes through local college student.
Campus Park and Garden Improvements:
- Completed 5th campus greenhouse, featuring a Euro-vintage theme and recycled windows.
- Made other outdoor improvements, including installation of automatic drip irrigation system and construction of large fire pit and Helping Hand fountain.
- Improved market outreach with availability of year-round produce; e.g., fresh tomatoes, expanded market offerings; e.g., trees, and greater seasonal offerings; e.g., firewood.
- Made other market improvements, including addition of market staff, purchase of plant wagons for customers, and selling of market produce through vendors in outlying counties.
- Participated in Americus-Sumter Art Council’s annual Arts in the Park, with peer art entries and market tours.
- Created public display boards for client arts and crafts.
- Expanded creative mentorship by staff with background in arts, and offered W.H.A.M. class on making creative gifts for others.
- Participated in 23rd annual Georgia Mental Health Consumer Network Conference and provided wellness workshops to attendees.
- Expanded adult literacy efforts through in-house study and community/school liaison.
- Participated in workshops with community speakers on topics such as HIV/AIDs and child abuse.
- Participated as stop on Sam’s Shortline Railroad excursions, providing tours of the campus and market.
- Hosted 15th anniversary Journey for Life road race and recognition ceremony.
- Participated in variety of seasonal activities at center and in community, including Halloween contests and parties, Thanksgiving luncheon, Americus Downtown Christmas parade, etc.
- Received People’s Choice Award in Chamber of Commerce Thanksgiving scarecrow decorating contest.
- Hosted annual Cheer Up the Blues open house.
- Celebrated 55-year milestone for PWC founder Stuart Perry, who promised no slowing down.
- Received visit from state mental health commissioner, Frank Berry, who cited Perry Wellness Center as “the best of the best.”
Thanks for everyone’s support last year, and we look forward to an even better 2015! If you would like additional information on any of the above, check out our Peer Post archives.