Beating Stress During the Holidays
Every year during the holidays, we try to remind our readers about the fact that the holiday season can be stressful for all of us, and particularly for individuals with mental health problems. We like to offer a few tips that might help folks get through the holidays a little more smoothly.
Thanksgiving Day is tomorrow. If you haven’t already, take a quick break and then BREATHE. Then go the Mayo Clinic website and read their article on managing stress during the holidays.
We’ll summarize the main points here:
- Acknowledge your feelings.
- Reach out to others.
- Be realistic with your holiday expectations.
- Set aside differences with others.
- Stick to a budget.
- Plan ahead for shopping, meals, visits, etc.
- Learn how to say no.
- Don’t give up your healthy habits.
- Take a breather when you feel stressed.
- Get professional help if you need it.
The article explains each of these points and provide helpful examples.
Don’t forget – we’ve still got Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s coming, so read carefully!
And have a safe and happy Thanksgiving.