September is Suicide Prevention Awareness Month
Did you know?
- Over 41,000 individuals die each year by suicide.
- Among U.S. adults, suicide is the 10th leading cause of death.
- Among young people aged 10-24, suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death.
This month is National Suicide Prevention Awareness Month. Organizations such as NAMI use this time to educate the public about suicidal risk, provide support to those affected by suicide, and offer assist to individuals needing treatment.
NAMI’s website offer a variety of helpful resources, including a page on identifying suicidal risk. For example, the following are major warning signs exhibited by individuals at risk for suicide:
- Comments or threats about harming themselves
- Increased use of alcohol and/or drugs
- Social withdrawal
- Aggressive behavior
- Dramatic mood swings
- Reckless, impulsive behavior
- Talking or writing about death
We encourage our readers to learn more by going to the NAMI website.