Perry Wellness Center takes its name seriously – we're all about promoting a healthy lifestyle. The beautiful fall weather has refocused our attention on the benefits of outdoor activity and exercise.
National advocacy organization Mental Health America has established a Live Your Live Well campaign to promote mental health wellness. For the key wellness tool of exercise, the MHA website offers six tips on exercise essentials, which are summarized below:
1. Start slowly, after checking with your physician if you are very inactive.
2. Warm up for 5 – 10 minutes before you begin.
3. Practice moderation, and don't push yourself to exhaustion.
4. Cool down for 5 – 10 minutes by moving more slowly.
5. Stretch after exercise to relax your muscles.
6. Stay hydrated by drinking water before, during, and after exercise.
For further details on how to follow these guidelines, check out the "Get Physically Active" page on the MHA website. It provides everything from a suggested timeline for ramping up an exercise program to sample stretching exercises.
Today is a great day to give it a try!